Police, Communications, and Environmental Health & Safety
GEORGIA STATE VICTIM'S COMPENSATION ACT
This program assists innocent violent crime victims with out-of-pocket medical or counseling bills, funeral costs and lost wages directly related to their victimization. Eligibility for funds is based on criteria designed by the State of Georgia. You may be eligible if you are:
- A victim of a violent crime
- A dependent spouse or child or such a victim
- A reasonably acting "Good Samaritan"
- A family violence victim
- A DUI crash victim
- A parent / guardian of an eligible minor
- Any person who is not a direct service provider and who assumes the cost of an eligible expense of a victim, regardless of such person's relationship to the victim or whether such person is a dependent of the victim.
You are not eligible if you are:
- A victim who was incarcerated or was currently serving an existing sentence for a felony involving criminally injurious conduct
- A victim that does not cooperate with law enforcement, prosecution, or the Council
- A victim that contributed to their victimization
- A victim whose sole loss was property
Other requirements include:
- The crime must be reported to law enforcement within 72 hours, unless good cause is shown; and
- A completed application must be filled out and submitted within 180 days of the incident, unless good cause is shown.