Police, Communications, and Environmental Health & Safety
VICTIM ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
As a victim of a crime it is easy to feel you have no rights. The Victim Assistance Program is here to:
- Give you moral support by providing someone with whom you may talk.
- Help you if you are intimidated, harassed or afraid.
- Inform you of the status of your case.
- Give you notice of court hearings and procedures.
- Provide an orientation to the courtroom setting.
- Provide a companion to attend court with you and provide emotional support.
- Refer you to social service agencies and other groups and individuals who can help you with personal problems resulting from the crime.
- Assist you with solving problems caused by the necessity of court appearances. For example: contact your employer if you need to miss work.
- Inform the prosecuting attorney of your feelings about the case and any financial losses you may have suffered.
- Provide you with the information regarding parole of the defendant and accompany you to the parole board if you desire.