College of Education
Teacher Certification Information
Certification at the conclusion of programs is handled by Ms. Chris Parker, Certification Officer, Dunlap Hall, Room 109 (706 864-1852, email@example.com).
If you are completing an advanced degree and NOT adding a new field, you merely need to download a certification application from the Professional Standards Commission web site (http://www.gapsc.com/Download/Application.pdf ), and send them a transcript after your degree is posted. This is called an “upgrade”.
If you are completing your first certificate or you are adding a new certification area for which you need our recommendation (for example, the Reading, ESOL or Gifted Endorsement) follow the instructions below:
READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING. USE DARK OR BLACK INK.
Complete the entire Georgia PSC Certification Application, all three pages. (This form is on the PSC website: www.gapsc.com .) Complete the PSC Approved Recommendation Form, first three lines only, stopping with your date of birth. (This form is on the PSC website: www.gapsc.com ). Mail both forms to NGCSU, Teacher Education, Dahlonega, GA 30597, Attention: Chris Parker, or you may deliver the completed form to the Education Department, Room 214, Dunlap Hall.
** Do not mail forms until the semester is completely over and you're sure the courses will appear on your official NGCSU transcript or you have received a Professional Learning transcript showing PLUs earned.**
If you took the courses for college credit, you will need to request a transcript from the Registrar’s Office. This is completed on-line at the NGCSU Registrar’s Office website. Instructions will be found there for requesting the transcript. Note: You must indicate that you want a paper copy and request that the transcript be sent to Chris Parker, Teacher Education, NGCSU. Indicate that you want the transcript to be issued after graduation. There will be a $5.00 fee which is payable on-line by credit or debit card when you order the transcript.
If you took the courses for Professional Learning Units (PLUs), complete the PSC Certification Application and the PSC Approved Recommendation form (stopping with date of birth), attach your PLU transcript(s) and mail your packet to NGCSU, Teacher Education, Dahlonega, GA 30597, Attention: Chris Parker.
If you are applying for INITIAL certification, whether you took the courses for college credit or for PLU credit, you must attach copies of your PRAXIS I/GACE basic and PRAXIS II/GACE Content test scores before submitting the packet, UNLESS your scores are listed on the PSC website - www.gapsc.com.
- To see if your scores are on the PSC website, you will need to set up an account with the PSC.
- This is done on their website, at the top right-hand corner of the PSC Home Page (www.gapsc.com).
- Click on “Register my PSC”.
- Click on “forgot my PSC Account number” and enter your social security number. You will then be given an account number or Certification ID - they will be the same number. Go back to the previous page ("Register my PSC") and enter this number for your Account number. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the registration.
- Once you have completed setting up your PSC account, go back to the Home Page of the PSC website (www.gapsc.com) and click on “Login to MyPSC”.
- Enter your information. If your test scores appear there, you do not need to attach them to your packet. If you exempted PRAXIS I or GACE basic but do not see it on the PSC website, you must attach evidence of any test scores used for exemption purposes.
- Once you login to your MyPSC account, you will be able to see if the PSC has official transcripts from other colleges you have attended.
If this is your first certificate, there will be no fee for processing your application. If this is NOT your first certificate, the PSC will charge a $20.00 fee.
If you hold or have held a non-renewable certificate, there will be a $20.00 fee to convert to a clear-renewable. If you are employed, you may submit the Georgia PSC Employer Assurance Form (found on the PSC website at www.gapsc.com), signed by the county superintendent or central office designee to exempt the fee. This form may be sent directly to the PSC via mail or filed electronically by the county office.
WHEN YOUR PACKET HAS BEEN CERTIFIED BY NGCSU…
We will mail your packet to the PSC UNLESS your school system wants to mail the paperwork in for you. If this is the case, YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL OF THE ABOVE STEPS. Include a self-addressed envelope (postage is not necessary) and we will mail it to you to submit to your county office. We cannot mail your packet to the county office. We mail it to you and you submit it to them. If your packet does not include the self-addressed envelope, we mail it directly to the PSC.
If you have questions about certification, contact Chris Parker, Certification Officer, at 706-864-1852.